Craziness might not even be a strong enough word to describe the weekend in college men’s volleyball.
Check out the top five things to take away from this weekend’s matches.
1. Conference Carolinas title match set — Both the No. 1 seed Erskine and the No. 3 seed Mount Olive won their conference tournament semifinal matches in four games on Saturday to advance to the Conference Carolinas championship match. The winner of this upcoming title match on Wednesday will become the first Conference Carolinas school to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
2. UCLA climbs up MPSF standings — No. 9 UCLA’s up-and-down season was summed up with its regular season finale. With the team needing a victory just to clinch a postseason berth, UCLA defeated No. 3 BYU in four games and then because of tiebreakers jumped up to the No. 5 seed for the upcoming MPSF Tournament.
3. Penn State wins another EIVA title — Penn State clinched its 30th conference regular season championship in program history as it defeated St. Francis in four games on Saturday. The Nittany Lions along with earning the No. 1 seed will also play host to the four-team EIVA Tournament in two weeks.
4. BYU road woes continue — No. 3 BYU lost to No. 6 UC Santa Barbara and No. 9 UCLA during the weekend for its fourth consecutive road loss after clinching the No. 1 seed for the MPSF Tournament. At 7-8 this is the first time the Cougars finished the regular season with a losing record on the road in five years.
5. Loyola dream season continues — No. 1 Loyola rallied from a one-game road deficit to beat Ohio State on Friday to finish the MIVA regular season undefeated. The Ramblers become the first MIVA team since Ball State in 1979 to go undefeated in a MIVA regular season consisting of at least 10 matches.