BYU will once again enter the college men’s volleyball season leading the social media rankings and by a sizable margin.
A recent Off the Block analysis of NCAA Division I-II men’s volleyball team Twitter accounts showed that BYU has more than double the amount of followers compared to any other team in the nation.
With the start of the season in about one week, BYU has a nation-best 4,329 Twitter followers. This is also the second consecutive year that the Cougars have not only led the nation, but have more followers than the second and third-place teams combined in the social media rankings.
UCLA and Stanford finished behind BYU each with about 2,000 Twitter followers. In addition, both Ohio State and Ball State lead the MIVA and round-out the nation’s top five having more than 1,700 followers.
Along with these schools, Penn State leads the EIVA with 1,416 followers, while Mount Olive has a Conference Carolinas-best 655 followers.
Of the 30 NCAA Division I-II men’s volleyball teams with official Twitter accounts, 13 teams have surpassed the 1,000 follower milestone. In addition, seven of those teams have reached this social media milestone within the last year.
Despite the majority of teams having a presence on Twitter, 10 Division I-II men’s volleyball teams as the 2015 season begins do not have a Twitter account. Several of those teams, though, have some presence on Twitter with unofficial team Twitter accounts or the school’s main athletics department Twitter account tweeting about the team.
Check out where all the college men’s volleyball ranked against each other in Twitter followers.
NCAA Division I-II men’s volleyball teams on Twitter
1. BYU (@BYUvolleyball): 4,329 followers
2. UCLA (@UCLAMVB): 1,991 followers
3. Stanford (@StanfordMVB): 1,956 followers
4. Ohio State (@OhioState_MVB): 1,761 followers
5. Ball State (@BallStateMVB): 1,724 followers
6. USC (@USCmensvolley): 1,723 followers
7. UC Irvine (@UCIMVB): 1,514 followers
8. Loyola (@LUMVB): 1,493 followers
9. Penn State (@PennStateMVBALL): 1,416 followers
10. Pepperdine (@PepperdineMVB): 1,199 followers
11. Lewis (@LewisMVBall): 1,124 followers
12. Princeton (@PrincetonVolley): 1,090 followers*
13. Long Beach State (@LBSU_MVB): 1,005 followers
14. Mount Olive (@MOCMVB): 655 followers
15. Hawai’i (@HawaiiMensVB) — 604 followers
16. Lindenwood (@LindenwoodVB): 538 followers*
17. Harvard (@HarvardMVB): 435 followers
18. Cal State Northridge (@CSUNMensVB): 336 followers
19. Belmont Abbey (@Crusader_MVB): 305 followers
20. Limestone (@LimestoneMVB): 281 followers
21. Quincy (@QUMVB): 270 followers
22. St. Francis (@SaintFrancisMVB) — 269 followers
23. Barton (@BartonVB) — 256 followers*
24. Sacred Heart (@SHUMVB) — 187 followers
25. McKendree (@MCKMVB) — 178 followers
26. George Mason (@GoMasonMVB) — 141 followers
27. Alderson Broaddus (@ABUmvb) — 122 followers
28. North Greenville (@NGU_MVB) — 118 followers
29. Grand Canyon (@GCUMVolleyball) — 82 followers
30. Cal Baptist (@cbumvb) — 47 followers
31. Charleston (@GoldenEagleMVB) — 12 followers
Teams without official Twitter account: UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, IPFW, NJIT, Lees-McRae, Erskine, King, Coker, Pfeiffer, Emmanuel
*Indicates joint Twitter account for the school’s men’s and women’s volleyball teams.
Twitter follower numbers as of Dec. 26